Friday, September 14, 2007

How Much Can I Read?

http://www.boundlessline.org/2007/09/help-for-the-wa.html
This is a blog post Boundless published a few days ago. It's kind of a spin-off from one they posted a few weeks ago that discussed a recent study which showed that one in four adults surveyed read no books last year. Since then, different bloggers have been suggesting book lists and tips for reading. This list, though, is really formidable.


"1. Maintain regular reading projects. I strategize my reading in six main categories: Theology, Biblical Studies, Church Life, History, Cultural Studies, and Literature. I have some project from each of these categories going at all times. I collect and gather books for each project, and read them over a determined period of time. This helps to discipline my reading, and also keeps me working across several disciplines."


All I can say is "Wow!" It's pretty pitiful that I'm struggling to keep a few history and literature books going at the same time.

"3. Read all the titles written by some authors. Choose carefully here, but identify some authors whose books demand your attention. Read all they have written and watch their minds at work and their thought in development. No author can complete his thoughts in one book, no matter how large."

Now, this is something I do frequently. If I read one book by an author and like it, I generally read practically everything else they've written. In some cases, it's not so easy. Do you have any idea how many books Charles Dickens wrote and how long each of them are? I have really appreciated my new "discovery" in Elizabeth Gaskell's writing, though, and I plan on reading a lot of her books.

"4. Get some big sets and read them through. Yes, invest in the works of Martin Luther, Jonathan Edwards, and others. Set a project for yourself to read through the entire set, and give yourself time. You will be surprised how far you will get in less time than you think."

This is something I really should do. I haven't read nearly enough of these books.

"5. Allow yourself some fun reading, and learn how to enjoy reading by reading enjoyable books. I like books across the fields of literature, but I really love to read historical biographies and historical works in general. In addition, I really enjoy quality fiction and worthy works of literature. As a boy, I probably discovered my love for reading in these categories of books. I allow some time each day, when possible, to such reading. It doesn't have to be much. Stay in touch with the thrill."

This is something I do a little too much of. Apparently, my reading is slightly unbalanced. :)

"6. Write in your books; mark them up and make them yours. Books are to be read and used, not collected and coddled."

Here we totally disagree. I do not write in my books. I don't mind neatly underlining meaningful or important phrases, but I hate to see my books get all marked up. I take my notes in a notebook. I really hate it when I check out a library book and it's all marked up. Just this morning, I was reading a large Civil War history book from the library and saw that someone had scrawled all over the margins of this big, expensive book. Arrggh!

I appreciate articles like this because they push me to go beyond what I usually do. I may read several books a year, but I need to learn to read a variety of books. I have a lot of catching up to do in a lot of subjects! : )

No comments: