Monday, December 31, 2007

Last Post in 2007

Today is the last day in 2007 and a brand new year begins tomorrow. I generally start the new year half optimistic and half pessimistic -- optimistic because I make a lot of plans that I hope will work out and pessimistic because previous experience tells me most of them probably won't. In a lot of ways, 2007 was a good year for me. I made some friends, accomplished a few goals, and had some pretty enjoyable days. On the other hand, there were some challenges and times when I was downright discouraged. I guess most people can say the same thing. No one has a "perfect" year. Still, on December 31, we like to hope that one is just around the corner. We make lists of everything we will do and want to do, trying to ignore the fact that there are very few check marks on our lists from last year. My list of resolutions gets shorter every year because I know that the more I resolve to do, the less I tend to get done. Last year, I had just six items on my list. I accomplished two and-one-half. The one-half is because I was supposed to learn two new piano pieces. I learned one completely and "sort-of" learned two more. I did read fifteen books that I had never read before and lost those last annoying pounds this summer. I didn't learn to paint well, finish reading that interminable book on the Constitution, or finish writing my novel. This year, I still have similar goals in mind, but a little different, too. What are they?
  1. Eat healthy
  2. Complete several new pieces of artwork -- portraits, landscapes and a still life
  3. Read at least 20 books I have never read before ( I found this to be real incentive to research different authors and find new books this year)
  4. Practice the piano and learn at least two new pieces ( I'm going to give this one another try!)
  5. Figure out what my painting style is and make at least one decent painting.

Will I do everything on that list? I doubt it. I should probably go ahead and delete "eat healthy" right now. :) But I do want to set goals for these things and try.

I always wonder a little when a new year begins. What is 2008 going to be like? Will it be a happy year or one full of trials? Will our plans for moving back to our hometown at the end of next year work out? Who will be elected president? I don't know the answers to any of these things, but God does. He has everyday planned and is in control of every circumstance.

Psalm 31: 14 But as for me, I trust in You, O LORD; I say, "You are my God." 15 My times are in Your hand

No comments: