Monday, January 14, 2008

Color Seasons

A message board that I read started an interesting discussion about the book Color Me Beautiful this week. Well, it's interesting if you find things like color palettes interesting. :) The idea of this book is that taking a person's complexion, hair color, and eye color into consideration, you can classify them into one of four seasons -- Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter -- with their own unique palette of colors that they look best in. Spring has light, bright colors like citruses and corals, Summer has soft pastels and blues, Autumn has earth-tones with oranges and browns, and Winter has vivid, bright colors and black.

I read this book when I was about twelve and used to follow "my colors" to the letter. I mix things up a little bit now, but I still stay in the basic outline of my color palette. Because I am a Winter, I only wear "cool" colors with a blue undertone, but I do wear a few Summer colors now, especially light blue. I also like chocolate brown a lot, but I never wear tan or orange.

This is a really good book to use as a guideline when you go shopping. There are even some good make-up tips in it, but take into consideration that the book was written in the early nineties, so some of the make-up is a little outdated. Even though it's the recommended color for Winters, magenta lipstick just isn't a good thing anymore! So, I can use the tips that pink tones are best for my blush and lipstick, but in more natural colors. Here is a quiz to see which season you are. Some of the questions seemed stupid to me, but the result was Winter, so maybe it works!

What type of color season are you?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Winter

You are a Winter! See FLAREgamer for more details on which type of Winter you are.

Winter

58%

Autumn

50%

Summer

33%

Spring

17%

1 comment:

lizzykristine said...

Hi Mandy! Thanks for introducing yourself at my blog -- I've enjoyed looking through your posts. :)

I did Color Me Beautiful at a girls birthday party years ago. If I remember right, I was summer. I tend to remember what colors look good better than the name of the category!