Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Hardest Thing About My Job......

Is not spending everything I earn there!! Let me tell you, sometimes it's not easy. I have never been one to spend a lot. When I get money for my birthday, I always save it for weeks before I spend it. I never buy anything unless it is on sale --and a good sale-- which means at least 40% off. Now, however, I'm working in a store that sells everything. My cash register is right in front of some of the cutest tops and dresses. I have to keep telling myself I don't NEED another top -- or dress. It seems like I give in more often than I would like, though. Last week, I had a coupon, plus my associate discount, and the store was having a great sale. Using all that, I got two nice 5x7 picture frames and two T-shirts for $11! I thought that was a great deal, especially since the frames were good quality decorative frames and the one T-shirt was usually $20 by itself! The week before last, I had to buy presents -- a wedding present, a baby present, a Mother's Day present, and a Father's Day present. The baby present was so fun to shop for. There are some of the sweetest baby clothes in that store! This week, I had another coupon. I almost wish they would quit giving me coupons. I found a pair of dress pant on the clearance rack for $8. I had to get them, especially since I really did need another pair of pants for work. Then I saw we had got a new shipment of wedding picture frames. I had wanted to get one weeks ago, but the ones we had were scratched. These were in perfect condition and so pretty --white, with filigree patterns, and "Mr. & Mrs......From this Day Forward" written in black penmanship. I bought one of those for a good price with the rest of my coupon.

Despite all this, I really have managed to keep myself on a budget pretty well. I always save a certain amount each week and make sure I don't spend any more than a certain amount each week. I've decided from now on that if I must spend, I'll spend on things that are of more useful and lasting value, like the picture frames. They will always be good to give as gifts or I can save them for myself to use one day. There are always pretty little seasonal decorations being put out and clearanced within a few weeks, so I could stock up quite a collection of things from tablecloths to candlesticks. Anyway, it's something to think about.

1 comment:

Kaitlyn Michelle said...

You are SO right! I have the same problem. Especially when you see something on a really good sale. I told myself that I wasn't going to buy anything for the rest of the summer...well that was before I saw this adorable hooded gray fleece
on sale for $6 , reg. $26. Oh well!

I like your idea about stocking up on things, and allowing yourself a budget, instead of feeling guilty if you do buy something little. :)