Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Call me Scrooge..

I've heard several people at work say that working retail through the holidays will ruin your Christmas spirit. I believe it. At this point, with forty hour weeks ever since mid-October, long hours, several days at a time without a day off, and grumpier customers than usual, my Christmas spirit is virtually non-existent. I don't care about going shopping. I dreaded the thought of putting the tree up. I would rather take a nap than wrap presents and if I manage to bake one batch of cookies I'll give myself a big pat on the back. Normally, I can't wait to put the tree up, want to go shopping everyday, and come up with ten new recipes to try. Not so now. Not that I'm being a total grouch. The tree is decorated, but it took two days to get that accomplished instead of two hours like usual. I've taken Gabrielle out shopping twice and we've managed to finish most of our shopping. But my usual Silver Bells, Sleighride, and Winter Wonderland mood is instead: "Let it be over soon!" If I have to wrap up individually another 24-piece place setting of china, I'll lose my mind. If another customer tries to use a store-credit-card-only coupon and then pay with their Visa, I may snap. And if I hear Christina Aguilera screech Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas at the highest pitch the human voice can reach before actually shattering glass, I may scream myself. (Sorry if anyone enjoys that version. I've heard it all I can take.)

I'm kind of reminding myself of A Charlie Brown Christmas. Charlie Brown sees Christmas as commercialized holiday and is trying to find the giving and good will toward men the season is supposed to be about. Linus reminds him, quoting Luke 2:

And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."
Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."

Jesus is the reason for the season. It isn't about Santa Claus, or jingle bells, chestnuts roasting on an open fire, or even buying a hundred presents. Christmas is a celebration that Jesus came into the world to save sinners. When I think about that, I'm glad it's Christmas!

3 comments:

emme said...

Awww! I'm sure I wouldn't be in the mood for all of the holiday traditions, either, if I had to put up with such grumpy people all the time!

And you're right...the important bit of Christmas is often overlooked...Jesus really is the reason for the season.

Here's to hoping that everything begins to looks brighter and a bit more merry for you!

~Emily

Muley said...

Amen. Hang in there. Spending a lot of time in stores prior to Christmas can not only severely dampen one's Christmas spirit, but make the entire human race look pretty mean and disgusting to boot. It's insane how we've grown to "celebrate" a holiday with complexity and stress that originally was marked by the utmost simplicity and joy.

All that to say....I know where you're coming from. Ditto.

It sounds like you have already found the solution, however -- that all of us should remember the REAL reason for this holiday, the one that will remain after all the Jingle Cats CDs and GPS-sensor underwear and popcorn ball toasters have faded into history.

Merry Christmas to you. I just found your blog, and am enjoying it greatly.

Mandy said...

I'm glad to meet you, Muley! thank you for your encouraging comment. I hope you have a wonderful new year!

Emily, thngs finally got a little brighter for me about two days before Christmas. Now that Christmas is over, I'm in a much more Christmas-y spirit, if that makes any sense. Thanks for the encouragement!