Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Grandpa


My Grandpa passed away late Monday night. He had fought a long, long battle with lung problems, but now he is finally at rest.
Back in 2004, he had open heart surgery and developed the worst case of the worst kind of pneumonia that you can contract. He was on a ventilator for months, which damaged his lungs further. We never thought he would come home then. The most we expected was for him to wind up in a nursing home. But he recovered and came home.
He was never strong and healthy again, but he did get to enjoy more things in life. He remarried (Grandma died early in 2004), spent time with his grandkids and became involved in church. Over the last two years, his health started to decline. He became dependent on oxygen and had a hard time going places. My mom was his oldest daughter, and losing her took a toll on him, too.
About ten days ago, he went into the hospital again. I wasn't able to see him as often as I should have. Monday, I saw him one last time. As soon as I saw him, I knew he couldn't last much longer. It was just like looking at Mama during her last days again. That night, they called and told me he was gone.
It has been hard to go through another funeral so soon, especially right here at Christmas, so please pray for us as we go through this. We are all glad to know that he is in Heaven, free from pain and suffering.

1 comment:

Kaitlyn Michelle said...

Mandy, I am so sorry for you and your family! I will be keeping you all in my prayers. What a comforting thought to know that he is in heaven.