Monday, August 27, 2007

A Great Movie



I love this movie. We rented it from the library this weekend, so I got to watch it again. It's not about the Civil War, as the title might lead you to believe. It's about the north and south of England -- a young woman who goes from living in a small, beautiful country town in the south to a manufacturing city in the north in the middle of the Industrial Revolution. I love the characters in the movie and the actors are great. I read the book by Elizabeth Gaskell after I saw the movie. In some ways the book was better, because you could understand the characters more completely, but in other ways, the movie was better. The book had a lot of discussion about the industrial progress of the age, the factories, etc, and while it was good to get the historical context, there was a little too much of that for my taste. It got a little boring. : ) Most of the book was very good, though. I recommend the book and really recommend the movie.

No comments: