Thursday, August 30, 2007

Summer Is Over

This week was Gabrielle's first week of school, which pretty much ends the summer for me too. Here's an overview of some of my plans for the year:

  1. Helping Gabrielle with math. We went through Algebra 1 together last year, so we're going on to Algebra 2 this year. Considering the fact that I hated algebra in high school, this is not a lot of fun for me, but I think I'm learning more from it this time around than I did then.
  2. Art lessons. I haven't kept up a steady pace with my work this summer, which means I haven't completed as many projects as I did last year. Part of the reason is because we had such a busy summer, and the other reason is a lack of projects. I completed one painting and three graphite portraits by May and then had nothing else to work on. I've just been picking up odd projects here and there since then. My teacher doesn't like for me to use magazine photos for references because they're copyrighted (since I don't sell anything I don't see what difference that makes, but..), so I ended up drawing another graphite portrait and now I'm working on a large graphite house/landscape scene. I did check out a few painting instruction books from the library that gave me some ideas. I really want to work on my painting skills so I think I'm going to buy some new canvases and get to work.
  3. Reading. There is so much reading I would like to do this year. I set a goal in January to read fifteen books that I'd never read before by 2008 and so far I'm halfway through number twelve. Most of them have been classic literature books, though. I would like to do more "serious" reading -- a few biographies, some history books, my Constitutional Law book (I still haven't finished it), and devotional books. There are a lot of books on my shelf and on my list that I haven't even opened, so I have a lot of catching up to do.
  4. Music. I really want to get back into playing the piano again. I think my hands can take it now. I've been working on some scales this summer and my right hand is pretty much back to normal. That left hand tends to want to flare up, though. I'm determined to try to work my way back into playing, slowly and steadily. I ordered a new hymn arrangement book today that I'm really excited about. I think it will be difficult enough to be pretty, but easy enough not to stress my hand.
  5. Writing. I'm going to try update my blog more regularly. Hopefully I'll be able to post three times a week, preferably every other day. I have some other writing projects to keep up too, so this will take a lot of work.

  6. Crafts. Everyone knows I have to have crafts of some sort going on. I've got three quilt tops that are waiting for me to quilt them, so I have to buy backing, filling, borders, get them basted together and choose quilting patterns for each one. I'm also working on a cross-stitch sampler, I have a set of Christmas ornaments that I need to make before Christmas if possible, and I have a few more ideas for things I'd like to get done before Christmas. I have a feeling I won't manage it, but I'll try.

That's just the main things. I have a lot of other ideas/plans for the next few months that I have to get busy with if I'm ever going to get anywhere with them. My main goals for right now are to get serious again with my painting/drawing and to start playing the piano again. Once I get those underway, I can start working on the other things more.

No comments: