Thursday, August 2, 2007

A Trip, A Wedding, and a Birthday

I am finally back from my trip. Even though it was fun, it was so rushed we are completely exhausted. There was something to do every single day we were there. My dad couldn't take off from work last week, so my mom, sister, and I drove ourselves 600 miles to our hometown so we could see my cousin Lesley get married. We knew things were going to be rushed, but we had no idea just how hectic things were going to get. The day of the wedding was so rushed. We were planning on getting there about an hour early. My Aunt Sherry was going with us, so we had to be ready an extra thirty minutes early to pick her up and then we had to drive two hours to the place at the beach where the wedding was held. It was a very pretty setting. The wedding was held at a nice community building with a deck that overlooked the sand and river. When we got there, Lesley and her groom John were rehearsing in casual clothes with the preacher.
They waited until only about twenty minutes before the wedding was supposed to begin to go change. While we waited, I took family pictures and enjoyed looking out at the beach. I hadn't been there in a long time. When the wedding began, I took a seat where I hoped I could take a few good pictures and waited. Lesley hadn't wanted a formal wedding with attendants. She just had our cousin's baby Ellis toddle up the aisle as ring bearer and a little girl who was related to John scatter petals as flower girl. Then she walked out onto the deck with her dad. The ceremony was really sweet and simple. John's brother-in-law sang a song and did a beautiful job. He had a great voice. They just repeated their vows and that was it. The building was very nice and decorated really pretty. They had rose petals scattered on the tables and bowls with floating candles as centerpieces
The bride and groom danced their first dance and they did a father/daughter mother/son dance as soon as the bridal party came in. The food was delicious -- potatoes, green beans, squash casserole, salad, fruit salad, prime rib, apple pie, banana pudding, lemon pie, and of course, a beautiful three layered wedding cake


I was happy for Lesley. I only have three cousins on my dad's side of the family, all older than me, and of them she was the one I was closest to growing up. Her dad was blinking back tears through the ceremony, though he tried to cover it up with sunglasses and her mom got a little emotional too. Lesley was very happy and everyone was happy for her.
Saturday was my sister's sixteenth birthday. She didn't want a big party, so we took her out to eat at her favorite restaurant, Red Lobster, that evening and shopping for new clothes. I gave her a necklace and earring set. She was planning to have a combined party with our cousin Emily at the lake that Monday, too.
The rest of the week was busy, but nice. We were able to spend time with family and friends and go to the lake for the girls' birthday party. When we left to come back on Thursday, my Aunt Sherry, Aunt Johnice, and her two kids Emily and Kati came back with us to stay at our house for a week.

No comments: