Sunday, October 14, 2007

Hike to the Natural Bridge, Part 2

It didn't take long before I was hiking by myself. My mom told me not to wait for her because she might just sit down for a while on one of the benches along the way and my dad and sister got way ahead of me. They didn't want to stop and wait for photographs. : ) I really loved all the staircases like this one. They were little, narrow stone steps and covered with slippery leaves. That's not even mentioning how steep they were.
The picture doesn't so this justice. I was walking beside this tall mountainside and came to this place where it hollows out deep and narrow inside into a cave.
Just past the cave were huge boulders.
More steps. It was really, really dark in these areas because the thick tree coverage blocked out most of the sunlight. I was also beginning to wonder to myself if I'd take the wrong turn somewhere. Nothing looked familiar and I didn't remember all these stairs. There weren't any little gazebos along the way to stop and rest in like I was sure I remembered before, and most incredible, there were hardly any people. Usually it's so crowded that you pass people constantly. I hadn't passed more than ten people.
This was like walking through the jungle. I was really beginning to think I'd turned the wrong way and ended up on one of the other hiking trails. I kept looking up and around me for the bridge, because, after so much walking, I thought I should be able to see it through the trees. Couldn't see it or anything familiar.

No comments: