Thursday, November 8, 2007

A Great Book...





http://www.visionforum.com/search/productdetail.aspx?search=to+have+and+to+hold&productid=12850

I was reminded of this book by one of my friends when she emailed me to tell me how much she loved it. It was one of my Christmas presents last year and I finished it before New Year's Eve. This is a book you canNOT put down! From the very first page, I was interested in the story (which isn't always the case, even with some of my favorite books), and the great historical content of the book was such that it was like going back in time and living in Jamestown. My favorite character was definitely the hero of the book, Ralph Percy. Our library doesn't have any other works by Mary Johnston, but I should request some. This was easily one of the most beautiful, romantic stories ever!
“We drank of the same cup then, your Honor, and we will drink of it still. We twain were wedded, and the world strove to part us. We stand suffering for that which is right and true, true by the laws of England, and most of all, true before the God who ordained that a woman should follow her husband, yea an though a sovereign should command otherwise!” (Excerpt from pg. 260)

1 comment:

Mrs. Anna T said...

Sounds like an excellent book!