Friday, December 7, 2007

Show and Tell Friday -- My Christmas Quilts

For Show and Tell Friday this week, I am going to post pictures of my Christmas quilts. I have made several quilts now, but these are some of my favorites. For more Show and Tell fun, visit Kelli's blog at http://kellishouse.blogspot.com/.



I handmade this quilt three years. It is completely hand-pieced and hand-quilted. The pattern is a Virginia Star with a lattice border. I love this particular star pattern. The tiny pieces could be annoying to work with at times, but I think the result was worth the extra trouble. There were definitely lessons learned in this quilt. The center pieces of the red star are made of a certain material which, when I bought it, was a really vibrant red color. After I prewashed it, it faded a lot, but I was so excited about getting my Christmas quilt together that I didn't even notice until I had made several stars. I thought about taking them apart even then, but I couldn't find another complementary red fabric with a muted pattern as hard as that is to believe. So I went ahead and used it.

Another mistake I made was going with "by the book" measurements for a queen sized bed. I discovered after I completed the quilting and binding that this quilt is about six inches too short for my bed. I could have solved the whole problem if I had just lain the quilt top across my mattress before I finished it, but I didn't even think about it. Despite its flaws, I really love this quilt. I love the bright colors and the stars. I put in on my bed in November and keep it on through January.

This is a little wallhanging I made about four years ago.I think it was my second quilting project. It's cute, but I didn't construct it very well. I learned one thing, though -- I hate applique!
This is my Christmas tree skirt. I think I made it three years ago. I was having a hard time finding fabrics I liked for this project in the store -- if I found a cute print, I couldn't find anything to match it or there wasn't enough of it. Finally, I saw these three coordinating fabrics with gold patterns and thought they would work really well together. The pattern was very simple to make. I wish I had made the skirt itself a little larger, though. I want to make another one sometime with different colors, just for a change.

10 comments:

blugrl said...

These are beutiful quilts! You are very talented. God Bless.

Susan said...

Beautiful. I so admire people who can and do quilt.
Susan

Hootin Anni said...

Amazing...so pretty. And festive, and bright and colorful. [PS...that is my favorite painting..."The Accolade" on your sidebar]

tamlovesran said...

You are so talented! I would love to be able to make such beautiful pieces. Maybe one of these days I'll make time to learn!

God bless,
Tammy

www.homeschoolblogger.com/hutcheson

Mary said...

What beautiful quilts. My Mom made me a quilted tree skirt 19 years ago this Christmas and I still have it. It's in amazing condition for it's age and is red with Santas on it. I will try to remember to post it next Friday.

Thanks so much for sharing your creative talents. Each piece is remarkable.

Blessings,
Mary

Martha said...

Beautiful job. YOu do lovely work. If you are ever bored - you can make me one - I won't mind either if it is too short. LOL

Thanks for sharing,
~Jane

Tom said...

You are inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Lana G! said...

Beautiful handiwork!!

jennwa said...

Those quilts are beautiful.

Becky said...

Those are beautiful!! If you ever feel the need to quilt again...let me know I would love to own a handmade original, just let me know the price. You do wonderful work. You are truly blessed....I would love to learn one day.