Monday, January 28, 2008

Do They Make Good Movies Anymore?

I like to watch Fox news sometimes. One of my favorite shows is The O'Reilly Factor, which comes on weekdays at eight 0' clock prime time. The host, Bill O'Reilly has lots of interesting guests, debates, and strong opinions. I agree with most of his viewpoints, but not all of them. My main reason for liking his show is that he presents the news honestly, with no slanting to the left or right, and he covers stories big and small that I would never hear about on other news channels. Last week, during one of his guest segments, he asked the man's opinion about the just-released Oscar nominations. I thought he had something really interesting to say. He talked about how gory, dismal, gross, etc, all the films were that were nominated this year. I had never even heard of any of the movies. He said (I'm paraphrasing) that the only movies that get made these days are scary horror flicks and that there just isn't any place for the fun B-grade movies that people loved years ago. He mentioned 1939, the biggest movie year in history, when Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (everybody should see Mr. Smith -- it is one of the best movies ever!) were all nominated for Oscars and how none of those movies would make it today.



Unfortunately, he was right. Most of the movies made today are all scary, blood, and grossness. When I see the commercials for these, I wish they made more movies like they did back in the fifties. Even when movies of nice books like Jane Austen's are made, they have to throw in a bad scene or two. I don't watch a lot of new movies. Before I go see one, I read about it at Plugged-In Online to make sure I want to see it. I have found a few new movies lately that are good. I'll have to post about them sometime, but my favorite movies are mostly the old ones. Alfred Hitchcock did several suspense/thrillers that are good without all the blood and grossness. There are so many great romantic comedies in black-and-white: Father of the Bride, Roman Holiday, Mr. Blandings Build His Dream House, to name just a few. Then there are the old musicals, the westerns, and the historical dramas. They just don't make movies like those anymore. That's why I like having a classic movie channel. ;)

2 comments:

lizzykristine said...

Hi Mandy ~ thanks for introducing yourself over on my blog. I enjoyed coming over here and reading some of your posts. Looks like we have some favorite books in common. :)

Lauren Christine said...

De-lurking here :)

I agree! It's almost impossible to see a truly *good* movie these days. Another one of my old favorites is Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. And Plugged In Online is also one of my favorite internet resources!