Thursday, January 17, 2008

Show and Tell Friday

Kelli's blog hosts Show and Tell Friday every week. Click to see more: http://kellishouse.blogspot.com/



My show and tell this week is my collection of antique and "antique-looking" books. Since I love to read, I have acquired quite a collection of books over the years -- hardback, paperback, softback, illustrated-in-full-color -- you name it, I've got at least one. When we discovered a couple of used books stores not far from our house, I found my favorite kind -- antique books. The ones above are my purchases from those stores. Not all of them are practical. I made the mistake of reading the pink Anna Karenina and the spine cracked, but the pages are the perfect kind of distressed, the type is the perfect size, and, most of all, the covers are beautiful with ornate gold filigree. They probably don't count as "true" antiques, but they are definitely replicas of the original first editions. I think most of them are about fifty years old.
Now this book is a true antique. My friend gave this to me for my high school graduation. The cover is beautiful and all the pages are in excellent condition. This is one my of favorite books, for the story and the book itself!
These are my "antique-looking" books. They are new reproductions made to look old.
These two are gifts from Christmas. The Pilgrim's Progress is the size of a family Bible and contains many beautiful color illustrations.

And this is my complete Jane Austen collection. It is really large, too, but I love the original illustrations and the elegant look.

So this is collection of books. I hope to add to it every year. What would I like to find next? An antique Ben-Hur, any Dickens work, and War and Peace.

13 comments:

Mrs. U said...

Wow!! These ARE treasures, for sure!! I LOVE to read, too! There is nothing quite so wonderful as getting lost in a book!

His,
Mrs. U

Susan said...

Lovely collection of old books.
Susan

TJ said...

I bought a Gone With The Wind that was printed in the first year it was out (4th edition I think) The cover was worn so I didn't pay too much, and I love to read from it.

ellen b. said...

I love books too. It's fun to come upon one you are specifically looking for. Enjoy the hunt!

Cherish the Home said...

Wow, your books are gorgeous! I just love old books, the look, the feel, the smell..--The smell is the BEST!

Blessings,
~Mrs.B

Anonymous said...

Some great finds there! I love the ornateness of antique and antique-looking books.

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

OOOOOHHHH, I love old books! I like your Scottish Chiefs. I think I have one like that in a different color.

Now you've given me an idea of what to post for next Friday!

Keep on collectin!

~ Jillian

nannykim said...

Nice show and Tell; I didn't realize that Jane Austin wrote as many books as she did---was it 6?

Betty said...

Mandy,
I like and appreciate your collection of books. I, too, collect antique books.....had not thought to show and tell them.....

Thanks for visiting with me and commenting....Betty

Cheryl said...

Love your old books... I recently bought some old school books from the late 1800's.(about 20 of them)I love them to bits! I got them for .50cents each :-) ~Cheryl

Kelli said...

I love books of all kinds too! Your collection is wonderful, just beautiful!
Kelli

Lana G! said...

Those are so pretty! I am glad they are making them look like the classic ones!

Anonymous said...

You have a very nice collection. This was a fun show and tell.
-Cookie