Sunday, March 9, 2008

Christy: the TV series

I remember when this series came out in the early nineties. I loved it then. I couldn't wait to see the next episode and was so disappointed when the series was cancelled after only two seasons. They didn't even let me know who Christy finally decided to marry, David or Neil! When my mom bought me the complete series on DVD for Christmas, I wondered if I was going to like it as much this time as I did then. My sister just knew she was going to hate it. We worked through the series one episode at a time and finished it just a few weeks ago. Just like before, there just weren't enough shows -- and Gabrielle liked it. When the final episode left Christy trying to decide between David and Neil, she spun around in her chair and said, "THAT'S HOW IT ENDS?!?!?" lol.

I really enjoyed the series. It isn't perfect, of course, and this time I can see why it ended -- aside from the David/Neil dilemma, they had probably carried the story as far as they could for a TV series. I just wish they had wrapped it up with good movie that tells the story of who Christy finally chooses. Hallmark did make two movies a few years ago that tried to do that. I checked them out from the library to sort of "finish" the series. In my honest opinion, neither one of the movies is very good. If you haven't seen the series, you might enjoy them, but if you are used to Kellie Martin as Christy, Randall Batinkoff as David, and Tyne Daily as Miss Alice, the replacement actors in the movie just don't fill their shoes. The movie Christy has a rather arrogant, I'm-so-smart attitude that was in stark contrast to the TV Christy's sweet personality. The movie David was even worse. He just had no personality at all. Only having the original Neil in the cast helped the movie. He was one of my favorite characters from the series anyway. Then again, I liked all the characters and actors in the series. :)

4 comments:

Mrs. R said...

Have you ever read the novel Christy? It's wonderful. You should read it. I will tell you though, that the reason the TV series ended that way is that the book ended that way! In real life, the Catherine Marshall's mother (who Christy is based off of) married a preacher. I hope that helps cure your frustration!

Mandy said...

I read Christy a long time ago -- probably ten years ago -- so, unfortunately I've forgotten a lot of the details. I do remember that I enjoyed it a lot. Rewatching the series has definitely made me think about reading it again soon!

Anonymous said...

Keep working ,great job!

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.