Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My Spring Quilt

I finally finished my spring quilt last night -- just in time for spring!! My room already looks so much brighter. If only I could paint the walls light blue. Sigh. Anyway, here is the finished quilt:

This quilt has a little story, too. I think all quilts have stories. It all started when I saw the pale green and pale blue fabric with coordinating patterned fabric at Walmart. I was trying to finish up my Double Wedding Ring Quilt, so I knew I didn't need to start another. I just could not pass by that those bright, cheerful fabrics, though.
I bought a very small amount of each fabric, probably a half a yard, then began sorting through my scrap bags to see what other springtime fabrics I had.
The yellow fabrics are some of my favorites. So are the china blue and rose pink fabrics. I found enough scraps in my bag to make a quilt top using a nine-patch block in an Around-the-World pattern. So, for about $10 out of my pocket, I got this quilt top. My favorite thing about it, is that it reminds me of a garden, with all the bright colors, the floral fabrics, and even some strawberry patches!!
Since I was still working on the other complicated quilt and this was a simple square pattern, I machine pieced it together. Then, I was so tired of quilting that I folded it away on my quilt rack all winter. I pulled it off just a few weeks ago and set to work on it. I was determined to have it done before April and I just did manage it. Now I'm so glad I decided to make it!!

7 comments:

Kaitlyn Michelle said...

Wow,Wow,Wow!!! That is Gorgeous!How did you learn to quilt like that? :)

emme said...

Oh, it does look lovely and spring-ish! : )

It's hard to feel like Spring is almost here, though, with 5 inches of snow sitting just outside the window!

~Emily

Mandy said...

Thank you, Kaitlyn Michelle!! I learned to quilt with lots of trial and error. Rule#1 --measure twice, cut once. Rule#2 *always* prewash fabrics....I could keep going. :)

Emily, I know exactly what you mean. I feel ridiculous wearing spring dresses/shirts with my heavy wool coat over them! I'm ready for warm weather!!

Kaitlyn Michelle said...

Mandy , I so know what you mean! Yesterday Mom and I did some shopping, I didn't have my coat on and tried all but running into different stores. Then of course Mom told me that I was going to end up getting sick again if I didn't put my coat on. Then I had to weigh wearing a coat, or getting another cold- I don't need to tell you , I ending up with my coat on! :)

Amber said...

WOW!!! Oh, Mandy, it's absolutely breath-taking!!!!
I LOVE quilts! I've been looking at the other ones you have on your blog, and they are ALL so well-made! You challenge me to try quilting my next project by hand instead of machine.
REALLY great job!
I'm jelous. :)
~Amber (AStichinGal from S&S)

Mackenzie said...

I will say it again...I love it! You have a wonderful eye for colors...those bright florals work together perfectly!

I wanted to ask...could you show us your other quilts? I found the double wedding ring (breathtaking!), and the Christmas quilt in your archives, but I would love to see some of the others you've mentioned...esp. that one on the back of your quilt rack in the first picture...

Anyway, thank you so much for sharing...you truly are an inspiration!

Mackenzie (from the S&S board)

Mandy said...

Thank you all so much!!

Amber, I love handquilting. It is so much easier to take out a mistake (and prevent mistakes!), for me at least. On the other hand, I really like strip-piecing. I'm going to talk about piecing techniques in one of my quilting posts.


Mackenzie, I would love to show you my quilts. I have three more, my blue quilt, my fan quilt, and my tulip wall-hanging, which was the one you saw on the quilt rack. I only have a few not-so-great pictures of them at the moment to go with my quilting post, but I will take more and put them up soon! :)