Sunday, March 23, 2008

An Old Fashioned Girl

I got An Old Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott from the library just a few days ago -- and I finished it just yesterday. It was such a good book! I loved the sweet storyline and the simple lessons woven into the characters' everyday lives. It made me want to read Little Women... again. :)

There is a confusing aspect to Alcott's writing for me, though. Any short biography on the inside jacket of one of her books will tell you that she was a feminist -- an ardent advocate for the Women's Rights movement. The majority of her characters, however, were young girls who tried with all their hearts to make their homes pleasant and happy. Only occasionally can you see the feminist influence in Alcott's writing. In this book, for example, the girls see a statue of "The Modern Woman" who is supposed to be more than a housekeeper, a mother, a nurse, etc, for she will have the right to vote, to work, etc. It's a small portion of a big book, only two paragraphs long, perhaps, but it showed the influences in Alcott's life. What confuses me is that the rest of the book seems in direct contrast to this "powerful woman" image. Polly is a sweet, dutiful girl who works quietly in her home to make others happy. When the girls marry in the end (I'm not spoiling the ending for anyone, I hope), they talk about encouraging their future husbands, helping him in his work, and hoping to make his home happy. So, when I read Alcott's writing, I can't decide if she wasn't as much of a feminist as the biographies make her out to be, or if she tried to tame her ideas in her writing to make it palatable for young girls.

I really liked this book, though. I think it is one that every young girl should read. Tom is a funny, wonderful character who seems practically real and the contrasts that are brought out time and again between Polly and Fanny are definitely thought-provoking. Anyone who likes Little Women or Eight Cousins will love it.

6 comments:

Elisabeth said...

'An Old Fashioned Girl' is one of my favourite LMA books! I know what you mean about the feminist thing ... it seems quite strong in the scene about the statue, but in the rest of the book I don't see it at all. In fact, I see the opposite! I like Tom too!

emme said...

I have to say that "An Old Fashioned Girl" is one of my very favorite Louisa May Alcott books. The characters have an enduring "lovability" even to this day, and there couldn't possibly be two more memorable characters than Tom and Polly. I love watching their characters develop and change throughout the years...

~Emily

Kaitlyn Michelle said...

I had to comment on LMA , because my family just visited her house in Concord,MA while on vacation in October.
As far as LMA being a feminist though, her entire family was liberal.The tour guide spoke of her family's-shall I say, unusual friendships with "different"
well known people such as Ralph Waldo Emerson,Walt Whitman and N. Hawthorne, all of whom were steeped in Transcendentalism.If you have the time , it's really interesting
to research. Also, if you are ever in Concord, MA , you really should tour her house!

Mandy said...

It must have been so neat to tour LMA's house, Kaitlyn Michelle! I have always wanted to visit Laura Ingalls' home/museum in Missouri, but so far I haven't been able to. I will definitely try to do research on LMA this summer. I love to learn more about my favorite authors, even though sometimes their story is not what I expect. :)

Kaitlyn Michelle said...

LMA's house was really neat, they did a great job in the Little Women with Winona Rider in recreating the house for the movie. While Mom and I were touring it , I had to keep telling myself that the movie wasn't filmed inside this house, because everything was so close, but not the same.When I get a second I'll post my pictures of LMA's house on my blog. :)

Al Van Nest said...

Great book. One of my favorites! Like all things Alcott. If you are interested in listening to this book on audio - FREE - Unabridged, just go to http://librivox.org/ This book and much more. Down load and listen when you are on the move!