Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Elizabeth Gaskell





Since I just finished reading one of her books, it seemed appropriate to write my first post about Elizabeth Gaskell. She was born in Chelsea, in 1810, the last of eight children, and the only one, except for the firstborn, to live. Her mother died just three months after her birth and she was sent to live with her aunt in Cheshire. In 1832 she met and married William Gaskell, a minister.


After they married, they settled in Manchester. The industrial atmosphere of the place gave her inspiration for some of her novels. Her first novel, Mary Barton, was published in 1848. I read on one site that though her duties as wife and mother were always her first priority, she threw her herself into her writing after the death of her son, Charles in 1845. After this publication, the family rented a villa in Plymouth Grove, where she remained until her death. Visitors to Plymouth Grove included Charles Dickens, Harriet Beecher Stowe, and Charlotte Bronte. Charlotte Bronte was a dear friend of Mrs. Gaskell's. She completed the first biography of this friend. Charles Dickens, also a friend, published her short stories in his magazine, Household Words. Mrs. Gaskell died suddenly in 1865, at only fifty-five year old.


Her writings:


Mary Barton (1848) -- This is a very, very good book. It is set among the working class people, instead of the wealthy as most novels are. The story was so interesting and the characters were believable people. One of my favorites.


Cranford (1851-3) -- This is on my bookshelf to be read. I really enjoyed the Masterpiece movie version, though!


Ruth (1853) -- This is the book I just finished reading. I checked it out without even looking at the back cover. It is the story of a young girl who is led astray by a wealthy man, but afterwards lives a life of repentance and self-sacrifice. There are no inappropriate passages, and the time of her life she spends doing wrong is a small portion of the book. The focus of the book is how she repents, and strives to live a righteous life following her sin. It wasn't really an enjoyable book, like the others, but it was definitely thought-provoking and worth reading.


North and South (1854-5) -- Very good book. Sometimes there was almost too much information about factories and unions, but the story was very good. I loved the characters. The movie with Daniela Denby-Ashe and Richard Armitage is superb!!


The Life of Charlotte Bronte (1857) -- This I started, but didn't finish. It taught me a lot about Charlotte Bronte and her family. I hope to check it out and complete it one day.


Sylvia's Lovers (1863) -- Even though this is easily one of the saddest books I ever read, it is one of the best. It is the story of Sylvia, who can choose either a dashing sailor or plain, but good and steady, shopkeeper. The twists and turns are heart-wrenching, but the final scene of forgiveness at the end made me cry.


Cousin Phyllis (1864) -- I haven't read this one yet!


Wives and Daughters: an Everyday Story (1865) -- One of my favorites. I loved the characters and the portrayal of family life two hundred years ago. It is so sad that she couldn't complete it. We'll never know what the last few chapters would have been in her own words! The movie version with Justine Waddel and Keely Hawes is excellent.


She also completed many short stories and novellas.


One of my favorite aspects of Mrs. Gaskell's writing is the Christianity showed in her books. Particularly in Ruth and Sylvia's Lovers she brings out repentance and forgiveness. I am so glad I found her books!

3 comments:

Kaitlyn Michelle said...

Wow, I had no idea that she wrote so many books! I thought of her just writing Wives and Daughters,North and South, and Cranford. I have to give her a try though, I think I'll start with Wives and Daughters. :)

emme said...

Interesting, Mandy! She was such a good writer, wasn't she?

There are a few here I haven't read yet...I would love to see if I could find them!

~Emily

Elisabeth said...

Thank you for sharing! I'm always disappointed Elizabeth Gaskell died before finishing "Wives and Daughters." I sure the ending would have been lovely. I love the ending of the movie - it's so sweet! I just read "North and South" and enjoyed that, too!