Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Piano Lesson

I went to my piano lesson yesterday. It was interesting. The teacher has come through a lot of hand injuries herself, so it was encouraging to hear that someone really can learn to play again. One of the key things she was showing me was to play with my fingers near the black keys, not the edge of the keys, and to keep your wrists relaxed. That's not as easy as it sounds. Until you force yourself to notice it, you never realize how much tension you hold in your wrists and fingers while you play, especially when doing chords and octaves. This teacher learned to play this way from another teacher, Vickie King, whose website is www.naturalpianoplaying.com. I really hope I can use these techniques to play the piano again!

2 comments:

Kaitlyn Michelle said...

I am so glad your lesson went well for you- I was wondering how it went. :)

? said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.