Friday, August 22, 2008

What I've been up to......

I just noticed how long it's been since I've posted. Yikes! I didn't realize it had been over a week. Last week was pretty busy. I had a bad cold the first half of the week and had to work long hours the last half of the week. So, I didn't get around to blogging. After I work 3:30-midnight once, it kind of wipes me out for the rest of the week. Thankfully, I have this weekend off! Yay!

I do have some news that's somewhat exciting -- well, it's exciting for me. At church last Sunday someone gave me the name of a piano teacher who retrains pianists to play after performance injuries. It had been so long since I told her about my hands that I was amazed she remembered. I contacted the teacher this week and we have a lesson scheduled on Tuesday. It has been four years since I overworked my hands playing difficult pieces and developed carpal tunnel syndrome that I haven't been able to get rid of since. A few weeks ago I sat down to play a few pieces and was discouraged because my hands just wouldn't cooperate with me. I'm really hoping this teacher will be able to teach me a new way to play so that I can actually play again!

2 comments:

Kaitlyn Michelle said...

Wow, Mandy..I am so happy for you!
I know what it feels like to look at your hands on the keys and think "Are these even my hands?" :) I hope your lesson goes great!

What kind of pieces have you played?

Mandy said...

The last two years I took piano, I tried to learn several difficult classical pieces. I learned a Chopin nocturne (I can't remember which one off the top of my head), Bach's Invention no. 13, Mendolssohn's Venetian Boat song and another Song Without Words, Claire de Lune, Debussey's Deux Arabesque, and Haydn's Sonata in F. That's the one the messed my hands up. :( I've also played a lot of hymn arrangements and several shorter pieces. The worst thing was always memorizing them. My piano teacher insisted on memorizing every piece!