Saturday, September 13, 2008

Long Day......

Today was a high stress day in my retail world. Whew! I worked 8-4:30. From 8 until 10 there weren't a lot of people in the store, but starting about 11, it was a rush! It wasn't any worse than some other busy sale days I've been through, but the store was short-staffed of cashiers and so many people had enormous cartloads of purchases. Add that to the fact that I'm still not over my last bout with bronchitis/asthma, so I just wasn't in the mood to deal with it. I guess what really made me panic a little today was the number of people with their big cartloads saying, "I'm just getting my Christmas shopping started!" Christmas shopping? I'm not ready for Christmas shoppers!!! I've been hearing the "terrible tales" from the people who worked there through the last holiday season, about being open until midnight or later, opening at 6 am, 10 hour shifts -- can I handle this?!?!?? Not to mention grumpy holiday shoppers who won't be satisfied with anything they can find or anything I can do for them. I know it's early to be thinking about it, but Thanksgiving is only two months away!! Either this will be a good lesson in patience, or my sanity will crumble.

2 comments:

emme said...

I know how thoughtless those harried shoppers can be...I've been surprised at the lack of common manners more times than I can count!

Christmas shopping already??? I can't believe it! I guess it's smart to be prepared, but stores seem to display their holiday merchandise earlier and earlier each year. We had harvest items at the beginning of July! Now that is crazy!

~Emily

Kaitlyn Michelle said...

Wow! God Bless You, for being a "Christmas-time" cashier! You get some pretty aggressive people out there, and around here, it's the older people you have to watch out for. Especially, cutting you off in lines, and arguing about the price,or how a sale runs. I'm sure you will do fine though, most people are very understanding about the Christmas rush, and lines.