Sunday, October 14, 2007

Hike to the Natural Bridge, Part 4

This is me just before the bridge.
And here is me and Gabrielle on top of the bridge. After we had stayed up there a little while, we started back down to find my mom. We really expected to find her waiting on a bench about halfway down because she has never climbed all the way to the top before. She's been close, but has always stopped just short of the top. On our way back down, we met her in almost the same place where I'd met my dad and sister before and she said she was going to the top this time. So, we turned around and climbed that same tenth of a mile again.
We decided to take the original trail back down. That involves going through this tiny space in between two rock walls. Not great if you're afraid of small spaces. I think it's kind of fun.
I was really hoping I could get a good picture of the bridge at a distance. I was able to one year, but that was before I had a digital camera so the picture is not the greatest. This shot was the best I could do. I think the trees have grown up so much around it that it couldn't be seen clearly in the distance like before.
This is the way back down. Again, I was by myself. I quickly remembered that the original trail has problems, too. The new trail has lots (and lots) of really steep stairs -- not fun going up. The old trail has very few steps, but it's really steep -- not fun going down. You have to pretty much brace your feet and slide down the mountain. Last time I jogged all the way down just to keep from sliding. This time I just walked fast and slid. : )
Anyway, the hike ws a lot of fun. The sign on the way out said the trail we took up was 3/4 mile long. It sure felt a lot longer. I guess that's because of all the steps. It also made me wonder how I did the waterfall hike with church last year. I know I remember that the sign said three miles. Whether it was three miles to the bottom of the waterfall and then the same back up or three miles altogether, I don't know. But, if the weather is good and I can get a lot of great pictures, I don't really mind how long the hike is.... I think.

No comments: