Sunday, October 7, 2007

New Music and Christmas Decorations

My new music book finally came in this week. It's a book of hymn arrangements. I had never played anything by this composer before, so I was a little worried that I wouldn't like his style of arranging, but as I've played through the melodies of the different hymns in the book, I'm very happy with it. Just as I hoped, the arrangements are pretty, but not so difficult that they bother the carpal tunnel syndrome in my left hand. I've decided to start working on "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing" so that I can possibly have it ready by Thanksgiving. It has been two years since the problem with my hands caused me to stop playing the piano and I have only played a little off and on all this time. I have really missed being able to play! I hope that my left hand will get stronger as I continue to practice and that I'll be able to play classical music and difficult hymns arrangements again.
Can you believe there are already Christmas decorations in stores? They were actually putting Christmas trees up in department stores the last week in September, before we left for vacation. I like to see the decorations go up in November so I have plenty of time to enjoy them, but September is a little too soon. Maybe this happens every year and I've just never noticed before, but I think this is the first time I've seen grocery stores with the disgusting ghosts and monsters for Halloween on one aisle and then Christmas trees and wreaths on the next. Somehow that just seems strange to me. It really seems strange now that the weather is back up to eighty degrees to walk into stores and see snowy trees and and sleds. It just doesn't seem like the right time of year for Christmas decorations. It also reminds me a little too soon of all the Christmas shopping that's coming up and trying to figure out what the people on my list would like for a present.

No comments: