Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Just A Few Thoughts.....

I have some things I want to post about, but I'm finding my blogging time is somewhat limited lately. I'm still adjusting to my work schedule and figuring out a way to work the other things I like to do into my new routine. My hours are actually really good. I always have at least two days off every week. I still need to make an effort to plan my days so that my writing/drawing/blogging and even my hobbies like quilting and crafts don't get completely pushed aside. Now that I've gotten used to standing on my feet for 6-8 hours at a time, I'm not nearly as tired as I was at first, so that's a big help towards accomplishing more at home.

This Monday, of course, was President's Day. I didn't have to go in to work until ten, so I sat on the couch while I ate breakfast and watched the Fox News morning shows. The stories they were telling about different presidents in honor of the holiday were interesting to hear. Then I went to work and found a whole new experience waiting for me. I knew sales were going to be good that day, so, since I got there a little early, I picked up a couple of items and gave them to one of the cashiers to put on hold for me to buy when I left. The checkout wasn't crowded then at all. I went to the back, clocked in, and went back up front to see where I was assigned for the day. I set up at one cash register and checked out one or two people as they came through. It still didn't seem more crowded than ordinary. Then another person came through. Then another. Suddenly I looked up and realized all three registers had more than five people in their line. From that point on, it didn't stop. I barely got a lunch break. There was not one minute when there was not someone in my line for the rest of the day. People were buying cartloads of clothes and pillows and towels -- I hate trying to bag towels -- and it seemed like 5 o'clock would never get there. To top it off, somebody accidently set off some sort of alarm in the afternoon and it went off for fifteen minutes. During the middle of this, a customer whom I had just finished ringing up, who had paid for her purchases, looked at her receipt and realized she'd been overcharged four dollars. So, while the alarm was still screeching, I had to call aside a manager to get her order voided. It was an interesting day, to say the least, nevermind exhausting -- my first taste of a really crowded sale day in the retail world. I don't even want to think about what Day After Thanksgiving sales are like.

Yesterday, I was supposed to get off at three. It was a really slow day, which makes for a boring day, but after Monday, boring was okay with me. One of the managers came up to me around lunch, however, and asked if I could work another two hours or more because they were short of help. I think more than half are out sick with the flu. I really hope I don't get that. I'm trying to wash my hands a lot.

It is so cold here. It's seemed so strange to see people buying Easter decorations and springtime clothing when it is so freezing cold. I know warm weather will be here one day, but for now it seems like it is never going to get here.

No comments: