Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Quote Book

I have lots of favorite quotes from movies, books, TV shows, historical figures...... lots of quotes from lots of different sources. A few years ago, I got the idea from a movie to write down all my favorites in a nice journal. Well, my mom gave me a nice journal for Christmas that year. It was exactly what I had in mind -- a wire-bound book, with sturdy pink pages and a scene of a garden gate on the cover. It look like just the thing to write quotes in. Anyone could open it and read it, but it was durable enough to last, as well as pretty. As I started trying to write down quotes, however, I drew a big blank. On the first page is a paragraph from a book I read by Matthew Henry and a poem by Emily Dickinson about books. After that, I couldn't come up with anything. Sure, I had several ideas of what I would like to write in it, but I got carried away in the details. I would think of a line I enjoyed from a movie. Then, as I began to write it, I would wonder if this was the exact wording. After all, this has to perfect! Or if I thought of a quote from a book, I would want to try to find the exact place in the book so that I could quote it word for word. Not very practical. Eventually, I gave up and put my notebook on my bookshelf and pretty much forgot about it. As I was reorganizing my room after Christmas, I found my quote book, and all those ideas came back to me. Besides, I had just found a few wonderful lines in some books I had just read. So, I started working my way through all my ideas. I have several Jane Austen quotes. I couldn't help it. After reading all her books again after Christmas, there were so many lines that I wanted to remember. There are a few movies quotes. I even quoted in its entirety one of my favorite songs from a musical and I may do that again because there are so many musicals with songs that I love. I am going to have to do some research to quote exactly some famous historical sayings, but I can take my time with that. I really want to add to it year after year. It's a fun project. On the down side, I showed my sister a page of it and she said she couldn't read a word of my handwriting. :( I don't think it's that bad, but I should make an effort to be neater. It's perfectly legible to me, but I also have a shorthand all my own that I fall into if I'm not careful, even when I'm trying to write perfectly. It must be the writer in me. I write so much that I have a tendency to scribble, even though I love beautiful handwriting. Anyway, I'm going to try to make my quote book full of interesting quotes and neat. If anyone has any favorite quotes they would like to share, I would love to hear them!

2 comments:

emme said...

Hi, Mandy! I stumbled across your blog today, and instantly recognized your picture from the Sensibility forums! (I'm "vintage" over there) :)

Anyways, I'm sure I'll be back to visit often! We seem to have quite a lot in common.

~Emily

P.S. I love quotes, too! My sister gave me a book for Christmas 2 years ago that I am trying to fill with all of my favorites. : )

Mandy said...

I'm so glad you visited, Emily! I recognize you from the forum, too! Your avatars are so neat -- I love Audrey Hepburn!!