Friday, February 29, 2008

My Latest Drawings

I haven't posted any of my drawings lately because I hadn't finished any. :( I took a break from artwork during Christmas (much needed after the art show) and didn't take it up again until January. I had started this picture of the path to Natural Bridge just before the art show, but I had only got the basic lights and darks in place. Now it is completed:

I love the contrasts in the picture. They are softer in a pencil drawing than they are in a B&W photo, but I think the shades and sunlight make it interesting. This is a drawing of a barn at my uncle's farm: The tree didn't look as crooked when I drew it as it did when I framed it. I'm trying to decide if I want to add some extra branches to the left so it doesn't look so much like it is falling over. The barn was neat to draw -- lots of chipped paint and tiny details that took forever to work out.

I also started a drawing of geese on a pond, but I've let it rest for a few weeks now. I'm thinking about printing another reference photo and moving on for the time being. It makes a nice composition, but there are so many twigs and branches on the bank of the pond that I'm feel somewhat depressed just looking at it. I think I'm going to draw something else and then come back to it. :)

4 comments:

Lauren Christine said...

Mandy, those are beautiful!! What a blessing to have such a gift and talent from the Lord.

Kaitlyn Michelle said...

Hi Mandy , I found your blog through Lauren Christine , I couldn't believe all of the things we had in common , do you mind if I add you as a favorite to my blog ?
BTW, your pictures are absolutely beautiful ! :)

Mandy said...

Thank you both so much!! :)

Kaitlyn Michelle, you are more than welcome to add me to your blog. It is so great to meet someone who shares similar interests!

emme said...

Wow, Mandy! Not anything against you...but when I saw the title of your post "My Latest Drawings," I never expected anything so lovely! : ) You are VERY talented. Make sure to keep on drawing!

~Emily