Wednesday, September 24, 2008

New drawings.....

This is from a picture that my friend loaned me just so I could draw it. She took it at a Civil War reenactment. The glare on the picture makes some of the details fuzzy, but it's an interesting picture in person. I'm experimenting with the bottom edge. It's supposed to be dust/smoke from the battle, but it looks like it needs some more blending.
My latest had drawing. I'm still working on smoothing out the background. I thought about tinting the flower pink, but I can't make up my mind. It's still a work-in-progress.
I tinted this drawing with my colored pencils. The before is in the picture below. I like the way it turned out. I may even darken the colors a little more, though the soft colors are nice, too. Decisions........

2 comments:

Kaitlyn Michelle said...

Awesome job on the pictures, Mandy! I feel like I'm looking at actual photos. How long did they take you to draw them?

Mandy said...

I've worked on the Civil War soldiers since April off and on. The bridles and uniforms were really time-consuming. The hands didn't take me long, but the flower and background are still a matter of blend a little, erase a little, darken a little. That's always the tedious part of a drawing for me. The butterfly only took a couple of days to draw and I colored it in about thrity minutes. I've never timed how long it actually takes me to complete a drawing. I guess putting it altogether takes about six hours more or less.